Stargazing in Sutherland
- About 9 hours
Join this private guided overnight tour to Sutherland in the Karoo — home of the South African Astronomical Observatory. These tours run during the 14 days either side of the new moon to ensure the best stargazing. They include overnight accommodation in Sutherland.
The small Karoo town of Sutherland is world renowned among astronomers for it crystal clear night skies year round where you will see stars like you have never seen them before. Many astronomy research centres from around the world have set up their telescopes here. This is one of only a handful of astro-viewing research centres in the world.
On this one-night, two-day trip we will:
- Drive from Cape Town through the Karoo to Sutherland
- Stay overnight in Sutherland, and experience the delightful Karoo hospitality
- Do night sky viewing of galaxies, stars, planets and more through powerful telescopes
- Learn how to take amazing astro photos with your DSLR camera – such as star trails around the south pole and star-motion time lapses
- Visit the Southern African Large Telescope (SALT), the largest optical telescope in the world
- Learn how to identify stars in the southern night sky
- Experience the unique Karoo countryside
Good to know
- This is an overnight tour
- Maximum 6 people
- Only available on the 14 days around the new moon to ensure the best night sky viewing
- Pick-up from your accommodation in Cape Town
- Professional guide
- Accommodation in Sutherland
- All permits & entrance fees
- Astro photography software
- Food and drinks
- Camera gear
- Gratuities (optional)
- Camera gear
- Comfortable warm clothing
No reviews yet
Medium Cancellation Policy
The guest can cancel free of charge until 48 hours before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 48 hours days before arrival.
Terms & Conditions
The beauty of Table Mountain, Lions Head and the Atlantic Sea Board coastline from the comfort of our kayaks is unrivalled. Dolphins, seals, penguins, Sunfish and occasionally whales frequent our Cape Town.