Walking Tour Of Langa Township
###Choose from one of Vamos' three daily Langa Township Walking Tour departures. (Tours start and end at the Visitor Information Centre, Gugu S’Thebe, Langa.):###
* Our Vamos tours are not a mass market game reserve experiences, where tourists rush through townships snapping photographs from inside air-conditioned coaches.
* No, our Vamos walking tours are small groups, gently paced, informative and interactive. * We are all local township-resident guides and we offer you a glimpse into our lives and culture, giving you a unique opportunity to engage with us, our friends and fellow Langa residents... Up-close and unhurried.
* We walk the streets, visit people in their homes, see a range of different dwellings, see street traders plying their wares, sidewalk "restaurants", container shops, and kids playing in the streets.
* Cameras are welcome and we will inform you of the local photography protocol... It's simply good manners:
* Children love being photographed, please show them your pics afterwards.
* Adults, you and I included, appreciate the courtesy of being asked before we are photographed. Let's rather be photographed together.
* Photos of the streetscapes are fine.
* Please don't bring sweets / candies for the kids. We do not want to encourage begging or unhealthy diets.
* If you feel you would like to give something to the kids, rather bring along items of clothing, books or something educational. Fruit is always appreciated. Let your guide know that you have come bearing gifts, and we will at the appropriate time guide you to give responsibly.
* You will leave Langa with more than you came.
* A guest (lawyer from New York) on one of recent tours summed up his experience: "I live in a wealthy city, I have a well-paid career, but the the richness of spirit I have encountered in Langa, leaves me feeling spiritually and emotionally poor."
Choose your departure time; make your own way to the starting point which is Guga S'Thebe Visitor Information Centre, corner of Washington St and Church St, Langa Township:
* Introduction to art and crafts at Guga S'Thebe (use bathrooms here).
* 2 hour walking tour.
* Return to Guga S'Thebe.
Local resident tour guide.
What to bring
* An inquiring, open mind.
* Use cell phone camera rather than valuable photographic equipment
* Please leave valuables back at your accommodation or in the boot of a locked car
What to wear
* Walking shoes.
* Summer: Hat, sun cream, water.
* Winter: Warm clothes. Rain jacket if required.
Directions to start of Vamos walking tour of Langa Township:
Take the N2 from Cape Town, pass the old power station and take Exit 12 Bhunga Ave. Continue along Bhunga Ave, cross N’dabeni Rd and take next right into Washington Rd. Gugu S’Thebe is on next corner with Church St. Look out for golden tower on right hand side.
Safe parking available (You may be approached by a man in a wheelchair to look after your car. We call him Skollie. He is a wonderful man. He will offer to look after you car, and maybe you would like to give him a tip when you return)
Guga S'Thebe ... same as starting point.
Cancellation 7 days or more before tour: Cancellation Fee 50% of selling price
Cancellation 2-7 days before tour: Cancellation Fee 75% of selling Price
Cancellation less than 48 hrs before tour: Cancellation fee 100% of selling price